Saturday at home was well spent, working from home which of course got us craving a nice warm meal. His solution? Lamb Shanks and the Instantpot!
I was slightly hesitant, wondering if it would turn out great given that we always used the oven- but to my surprise, it was quick, easy and took all of 40 minutes- the best part was the flavor that seeped into the meat!
Recipe: ( Note it can also be made in a big pressure cooker).
2 lamb shanks
2 green chillis
2-3 tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp. paprika
2 Tbsp. oregano
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cumin seeds
4 cinnamon sticks
Olive oil – (for frying)
1 medium onion – chopped
Sliced mushrooms ( Can add veggies of your choice).
For the sauce: 1 cup red wine
4 cups stock ( I used chicken)
0.25 cup water ( to bring the IP to pressure).
– Combine pepper, garlic, paprika, oregano, salt, cumin seeds, cinnamon sticks, and oil. Mix well and coat meal. Keep aside.
– Using sauté setting, heat Instant Pot. Once hot add 2 Tbsp. of olive oil and thoroughly brown lamb on all sides – making sure to render all the fat. About halfway through, add the contents from marinade to the pot.
– Once lamb is browned, add the veggies and sauté until the onions are done.
– Add red wine to deglaze the pot – making sure to scrape all the bits stuck to the bottom. Simmer to reduce by half – about 10 minutes.
– Add stock and then c lose lid and switch to manual setting for 30 minutes. Make sure that the pot is sealed.
– Once cook time is complete – Let pressure naturally release for about 10 minutes, then quick release if desired.
Once the pot is opened, sauté it for a bit to thicken the sauce – you can add corn starch if desired- we didn’t. I added hard boiled eggs here to retain the flavor of the sauce. Serve over your choice of starch (rice or mashed potatoes). We made a quick fried rice with mixed veggies from leftover rice.
What a fabulous idea for a quick succulent, mouthwatering meal- how could I ever doubt my Instantpot- it always delivers!!!