Whether you’ve got a stopover in the city, or a short trip celebrating a long weekend, New York City has a lot to offer. A month is not enough- and hence we’ve compiled a list of 10 things you should do in the city!
The One World trade Center: This cannot be a part of the next 10 things to do! If there is one thing you must do- this is it. Whether you go to the top of the observatory (book in advance- tickets are 32 bucks per adult), or choose to stay downstairs and walk through the museum telling us of That Day, this is our very own icon. There’s no way you should miss this. Then come the others…
- Broadway Show: Take in a show, especially if its that time of the year when there are 2 for 1 offers. Most matinees are not full, and since people flock to the city for its famous broadway, there’s never a bad time with shows for all ages, and tastes. Expensive yes- but you’re on vacation!
- Lady Liberty: The Statue of Liberty stretched out her arm welcoming all and sundry into the country. Situated in New Jersey, she faces New York, letting her light buun bright! Ferries from the city take you to Ellis Island and Libery Island, letting you get a close look at her. Alternatively, if you’re running short of time, take the free ferry to Staten Island- it goes past Lady Liberty and is a great idea for a photo op!
- Our Parks: Both Central Park and the Highline amongst others are must dos. You can sit at the Plaza hotel with your cup of poison of coffee and people watch. The Highline offers free tours on Tuesdays and Saturdays between May and September.
- Grand Central Terminal: Featured in numerous movies and advertisements, the interiors of the terminal are stunning and one can stand gazing at the ceiling for hours on end.
- Food Trucks: Come to our city and don’t try our food trucks? Well that’s not happening- you simply must try them- from Indian fare to Arabic shwarmas, to pretzels and our famous hot dogs which may ruin your tummies (don’t say I didn’t warn you), we have it all- toss a coin and pick the Halal Guys!
- Staten Island: If you have the time, please do visit this borough of the city. You won’t regret it. Read more about it here.
- St. Patricks Cathedral: The largeRoman Catholic Cathedral- it takes up a whole city block between the 50 and 51st streets- is lovingly referred to the center of Catholic life in the United States. The art and architecture are breathtaking. The cathedral is undergoing restoration, most of which is now completed.
- Coney Island: Summer in NYC is Coney Island, with its restored boardwalk, luna park and numerous vendors. The original site of Nathan’s hot dogs, this part of Brooklyn also houses the New York Aquarium. Note- there are no hotels in Coney Island- but it’s definitely worth an evening visit.
- Museums: We have museums and more museums. MOMA is one you must go to. Friday evenings from 4-8 are free, else you will end up shelling outs 25 USD per person. Most other museums like the MET have a recommended fee of 25 USD but you can pay whatever you can- even 5 bucks.
- Rockefeller Center: If you’re in the city around Christmas, there’s no way you are allowed to miss the large Christmas Tree out front. The Rockefeller offers great views of the city and the Empire State Building, as well as a skating rink, where you are bound to witness marriage proposals!
There’s so much more to the city than the things noted above- ranging from a walk on the Brooklyn Bridge to the Bronx Zoo and the Brooklyn Botanical garden, not forgetting the Cloisters and the Empire State Building… But there is only so much one can do- pick and choose what works for you, and drop me a line!
Stay tuned for my list of over-rated dos in the near future!
Until next week,